Tuesday 29 September 2009

Why am I interested in sustainable consumption and what do I want from the module?!

I chose Sustainable Consumption because all the other options were even less appealing. And what I would like to gain from this module is 20 credit points!

Only joking... The truth is this was easily my first choice module, as I am very interested in the public policy aspect of climate change, and uncovering why it is still proving very difficult to get the majority to act sustainably. I have, therefore, a desire to gain greater understanding of the overwhelming number and complexity of factors that influence consumption, from economic to social.

The economic influence, for me, is the obvious solution (BBC news the other night had a report on the reduction in CO2 emissions in the US since the credit crunch - something like 40% but don't quote me on that!). Yet, from my own frustrating and in-vain attemps to get my mother to think about her consumption levels and their sustainability, I fully appreciate the huge social barrier to SC...

I am also intrigued by SC in relation to demographics. With respect to this, a good little read is http://www.newscientist.com/special/population , which presents a variety of arguments on the issue... perhaps you could have a browse and leave a comment...

Hopefully, then, this module can give me the knowledge, confidence and expertise in the field of SC to possibly pursue a career in education for sustainability, environmental politics, or perhaps research (as you can see, I definitely know what my plans for the future are!).... Basically I would like to focus on the communication of environmental science to the public, as I have heard an astonishing range of "white-van man" tabloid-fuelled beliefs and opinions on environmental topics.

Oh and another useful link I stumbled across was:

http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mwx4f

only 2 days left on iPlayer so hurry up

1 comment:

  1. Interesting the overpopulation factor. Didn't have time to read all the articles, but will always get involved in a debate at the end of a working day.

    It seams like a bit of a vortex of cause and effect / feedback's, that is almost impossible to predict. But I'll throw a fairly unstructured half penny in.

    - Areas with the highest birth rates tend to be the poorest.
    - These poorest in society emit the least, especially in the global context.
    - As you raise people out of poverty thus reducing birth rate, you need to have a sustainable system to support that raise in lifestyle.
    - Global capitalism feeds on have a large desperate work force it can exploit.
    - The same global poor are the most vulnerable to climate change.
    - This is an interesting point when climate justice and social justice meet.
    - this could provide opportunity but is more likely to cause more problems as, intertwining the two issues more directly confronts a wider section of corporate vested interests.
    - Could the Carbon Markets help address these inequalities? I think not but don't really believe in the trickle down effect in a global sense.

    rambling as ever, but just a shunt to open up some debate on this v.interesting subject.

    ReplyDelete